Master Carpenter/ Shop Foreman
Virginia Repertory Theatre, Central Virginia’s leading professional theatre company, seeks a Master Carpenter/ Shop Foreman. With a budget of $5.3 million, four unique venues, and an educational touring arm, Virginia Rep reaches over 530,000 patrons, students and teachers annually. The Master Carpenter/ Shop Foreman will report to the Technical Director and coordinate with other scenic carpenters, over-hire and interns to construct, transport, install and strike scenery in four venues and for special events. Applicants should possess a strong theatrical carpentry background, including the ability to build from construction drawings, as well as strong creative abilities. This is a year round, full time position.
- Work under supervision of the Technical Director to build scenery in various materials including wood, metal, plastics and fabrics
- Coordinate building set pieces according to technical drawings or other direction
- Manage the upkeep and cleanliness of spaces and maintenance of equipment and production facilities
- Help to maintain a safe work environment
- Assist in load-in, maintenance and strike of multiple shows in multiple venues
- Five years of theatrical carpentry experience
- Strong experience working in and organizing scenic shops
- Experience working from drafting as well as creative problem solving
- Skilled with power tools, including table saws, mitre saws, circular saw, others
- Comfortable on ladders and with heights
- Understanding of industry safety procedures
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
- Positive attitude and love of theatre
- Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
This position is eligible for annual and sick leave. This position is also eligible for participation in company health, life, disability, and dental insurance plans, as well our 403(b) retirement plan.
Starting pay – $31,000 /yr., commensurate with qualifications.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Master Carpenter in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Virginia Rep is an Equal Opportunity Employer.